How did I Miss Pavarotti?

     On a recent flight to Israel via New York I watched  a movie on the domestic flight which stirred many emotions in me. The movie, produced by Ron Howard, was a documentary about Luciano Pavarotti, the world famous Italian opera singer. 
     I had certainly heard the Pavarotti name, watched him perform briefly on PBS, yet had, in essence,  paid scant attention to his magnificent voice. Or the performances of the famous Three Tenors, of which he was one when they first performed in Rome.
     I enjoy all kinds of music from Christian to big band to beach music, country, Celtic and classical. I grew up in a fine children’s choir, sang in a traveling college chorus and later sang professionally many years ago. My  genre was folk music thanks to Peter, Paul, and Mary, Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie,  and Gordon Lightfoot.
     Yet on the flight, I found myself transfixed by many clips of Pavarotti’s performances included in the film.His four-octave vocal range was so magnificent that I felt connected to what heaven’s songs may await us. Tears  filled my eyes listening to his larger than life voice emanating from his larger than life presence.
     I learned much about his background, his 1935 birth in war- torn Europe, his rise to fame, his captivating personality and warmth, his later generous humanitarian outreach to needy children and yes, his imperfections in his personal life.
     How did I miss Pavarotti? Were my musical interests too narrow? Did I shy away from opera because I didn’t understand the Italian language? Was my curiosity lacking? Boy, I sure missed blessings not listening to him!
     Mixed into my musical questions, other questions presented themselves. What other joys may I have missed, like listening to the soul-moving voice of Pavarotti? Or pausing long enough to listen to the profound words of the Lord in scripture. Or His still voice  in the middle of a personal storm? Or savoring small, yet precious moments woven into everyday life?
Photo-Mariomanias,Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0
     Watching the movie on the flight was an unexpected  reminder of beauty. A reminder of songs and voices that God has deposited in world cultures.  The operatic Pavarottis, the Hillsongs, the South African harmonies, the lilting Celtics,  and other genres which lift the soul.
     I’m not certain yet how the Lord will shape my film moments with Pavarotti and his magnificent voice but I’m certain that my connection  is a fine beginning to my time in Israel at the Christian Media Summit and other encounters.  I hope I don’t MISS anything this time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Christmas Shepherds, Levitical Priests for Their Bethlehem Flocks

S hepherds and sheep hold a prominent place in the Bible. The most famous are the Christmas shepherds!   I s it possible that Mary birthed ...