Ancient Paths & Modern Steps

     For the second year, Israel's Government Press Office (GPO) invited me to their 2019 Christian Media Summit attended by 140 media from across the world. I’m riding-and posting-while on a bus at the invitation of the Druze Community heading up to the Golan Heights in northern Israel.
Before the Summit, I visited the City of David.I’ve been before but this visit held profound moments for me. A friend arranged a VIP tour for us which included King Hezekiah’s 2,700 year old water channel open to the public and walking on The Pilgrim Road not yet open to the public.
     I rolled up my jeans and left on my shoes and stepped into the channel where the ceiling was at times only 5 feet high and the walls 2 feet apart.  The chilly water flowed through the tunnel at 6 inches to a foot deep.  Tears filled my eyes realizing not only the architectural achievement of the ancient chiselers but to connect with the ancient steps of the Jewish people who devised-with God the Architect's intervention-the channel which created a security buffer.  Remarkably, thousands of workmen began chiseling at two different points and met in the middle.  The supernatural directions took the place of modern equipment and lasers.
The Pilgrim Road Podium
      Afterwards, our VIP Guide opened the lock on a steel door.  We stepped onto 2,000 year old pavers-stones- onto The Pilgrim Road still under excavation. Again, I found myself emotionally overcome knowing that Jesus Himself, his Jewish birth family, later His disciples and many thousands of Jews traversed this road for their three annual Jewish festivals in Jerusalem, the ancient and now modern capital of Israel.
     I’m sure Mary and Joseph retraced their steps on The Pilgrim Road to find Jesus- who as a boy was missing - as he sat in The Temple astonishing the religious leaders.  Along the way, my friend and I saw, then sat on a four layer stone podium.  It was easy to think that Jesus in His three year ministry stood on the podium to teach. Our Bible is filled with the ancient paths; teaching, guidance, poetry, praises, stories, history, prophecy, admonition, hope, and so much more. An ancient book of life, a guidebook, a source of life and comfort for modern steps.  Ancient words that are timeless and never grow old. Ancient paths that we must wisely walk with our modern “feet.”
 Jeremiah 6:16 holds a wonderful promise for walking the ancient paths yet the verse is accompanied by a strong warning: “This is what the Lord says,’Stand at the crossroads, stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths where the good way is and walk in it; and you will find rest for your souls. But you said,  ‘We will  not walk in it.’”
     Walking the real ancient paths in Jerusalem gave me a profound perspective to “walk the good way” and a reminder not to disobey and miss the blessing of rest for my soul and walking in the right direction.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Christmas Shepherds, Levitical Priests for Their Bethlehem Flocks

S hepherds and sheep hold a prominent place in the Bible. The most famous are the Christmas shepherds!   I s it possible that Mary birthed ...