How to Cope

Great Smoky Mountains
     Coping skills are important but we must make sure we choose the healthy ones. When gray clouds   of anxiety are floating over me I sometimes tend to cope by shoving my worries and painful situations into a box of unresolved emotions. I push the box into the far corners of my emotions hoping that the lid will stay on.       
    Yet, in reality, it’s an opportunity for the enemy of my soul to launch a covert operation which undermines  my relationship to the Lord and my general well being.  The unresolved, stuffed emotions float into my mind with negative messages blocking out the truths our Lord provides with His presence and His easily accessible words to me in the Bible.
     Here’s the best way for me to cope: 1 Peter 5:7 (NIV)  “Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you.” Cast ALL anxiety on the Lord.  Not just one.  ALL.
     Casting my anxiety on the Lord means authenticity. He already knows my heart but talking with Him about it begins the process of handing over the anxiety or pain.
     Instead of stuffing a box full of unresolved pain and worry and compartmentalizing it, I choose to call out each one and envision myself placing it in a box and handing it over to the Lord. He is the Burden-Bearer. He bore our sins to the cross.  Handing over my troubles to Him releases freedom into my spirit.  I breathe deep, thanking Him for His loving kindness. I breath Jesus in, I breathe worries out.
     Matthew 28:30 is the Lord’s promise to me when I hand over my box! “For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” For me, this process is a discipline. I must switch the repository of troubles from me to Him! I hope you are encouraged today to cast your cares on the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Christmas Shepherds, Levitical Priests for Their Bethlehem Flocks

S hepherds and sheep hold a prominent place in the Bible. The most famous are the Christmas shepherds!   I s it possible that Mary birthed ...