J.R.R. Tolkien's Word - EUCATASTROPHE!


“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?” 
― Gregory Peck, Actor (1916-2003)

      I enjoy new words especially those rich with meaning.  The famous twentieth century author, J.R.R. Tolkien coined a word by joining two Greek words together; Eu which means “good” and catastrophe meaning “destructive.” Eucatastrophe.
     His invented word describes situations which look bleak, and then a surprise! Joy shows up in the pain, conflict, or loss. I embraced this wonderful word right away. It reminded me of the Lord’s intervention in my life. For example, years slipped by when I was childless longing to be a Mom. I experienced many heartbroken moments. Then, suddenly, God surprised us with a beautiful baby son through adoption and then later a beautiful baby daughter through adoption. I had given up ever being a Mom. EUCATASTROPHE!
     Eucatastrophes don’t always result in a personal, direct turnaround. Both of my parents passed into heaven 13 years apart by the time I was 32 years old. I felt orphaned. Over time, the Lord has shown me how to use my losses as ways to understand and reach out to others in pain. 
2 Corinthians 1:4 has come alive. “He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When others are troubled I can give them the same comfort God has given me.” EUCATASTROPHE in another version!
     The most powerful example of Eucatastrophe took place 2,000 years ago. Although Jesus prepared His disciples, they did not and could not anticipate the events of His crucifixion. Try to imagine their horror. Their despair. Their shame. Their catastrophe! Three days later joy beyond joy rescued them from a pit of grief.  Jesus’ resurrection! EUCATASTROPHE!
     I hope Eucatastrophe has been or will become a word of encouragement for you and those around you. May the Lord intervene in your catastrophes with surprising turn- arounds remaking them into EUCATASTROPHES!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Christmas Shepherds, Levitical Priests for Their Bethlehem Flocks

S hepherds and sheep hold a prominent place in the Bible. The most famous are the Christmas shepherds!   I s it possible that Mary birthed ...